||This fortress was built along the slopes of Deogyangsan Mountain so as to defend the area against the Japanese forces that invaded Korea in 1592 and thus precipitated the seven-year war Koreans call Imjin Waeran. |
This historic defensive facility is now famous for the aprons (called 'haengju chima' in Korean) that were worn by the local women in order to carry the stones to be used as weapons against the invaders as well as the remarkable military leadership of General Gwon Yul.
According to the records, General Gwon Yul was a provincial magistrate in Jeolla-do when the war broke out. He was soon promoted to commander-in-chief of the Joseon forces allocated to defend the three southwestern provinces : Gyeonggi, Chungcheong and Jeolla and stationed his army at the fortress built on Deogyangsan Mountain.
Historians believe that the earliest fortress walls around the mountain were built during the Baekje Period (BCE 18 660).
Currently, the historic site contains a monument to mark General Gwon Yul's unlikely victory, as his soldiers teamed up with local men and women at the Battle of Haengju, Chungjangsa Shrine built to honor the life and achievements of General Gwon Yul, and Deogyangjeong Pavilion.